Friday, March 27, 2009

Asparagus Hollandaise

1 pound asparagus
4 eggs, hard boiled

Hollandaise sauce:
3 egg yolks
1/2 cup butter
2 1/2 T. lemon juice
dash of cayenne pepper (or to taste)

Snip the tough ends off the asparagus. Steam for 8-10 minutes or until tender. Place in a serving dish with a lid to keep warm.

Quarter the eggs the long way. Carefully place them over the top of the cooked asparagus.

Place egg yolks in a mixing bowl. With a small whisk, beat until smooth. Heat butter, lemon juice and cayenne pepper in a small sauce pan on the stove. When butter is all melted, continue heating until just boiling. Remove from heat and add promptly to the yolks, beating the mixture constantly about 2-5 minutes. Pour over asparagus and eggs and serve promptly.

Banana's Notes
I've made this twice in the last week or so. The first time I made a hollandaise sauce, the recipe I followed was so complicated (with a double boiler and about 20 steps), and I couldn't keep the eggs from curdling. So, I found a different recipe and gave it my own twist (as always). It was so much easier, and the sauce turned out perfectly.

For best results, use fresh lemon juice. Also, you can substitute white pepper in place of the cayenne.

Enjoy while asparagus is still in season!

2 Comments:

At April 07, 2009 12:55 PM, Anonymous Cash said...

Banana, Your hollandaise sauce is really similar to the one I got out of a cookbook. It's easy and tasty. My cookbook had a complicated recipe too, but it also required a double boiler and I don't even have a clue what that is!

 
At April 24, 2009 4:46 PM, Blogger banana said...

Yes, I recommend this easier version for sure. It also turned out much better!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home