Monday, July 24, 2006

Potato Salad

6 medium red potatoes
1 banana-cut summer squash
1 cucumber
3 green onion, chopped
4 eggs, hard boiled
¾ cup Hain Mayo
2 T Newman’s olive oil/ vinegar dressing
2 tsp garlic powder
½ tsp dill weed
½ can (16 oz) black olives, cut in half (optional)

Cut the potatoes into small cubes and boil in water for 20 minutes or until tender. Steam the squash for 10 minutes. Cut the rind off the squash and cut into small cubes. Rinse both the potatoes and squash in cold water and refrigerate for 1 hour to chill. Peel and dice the cucumber. Cut the hard boiled eggs into slices. Add the cucumber and the green onion to the potatoes and squash. In a separate bowl, mix together the mayo, dressing, garlic powder and dill weed. Add mixture to the main salad, stirring to mix. Add eggs and olives, stirring gently.

Banana's Notes:
I had potato salad in Argentina with squash in it, and I've made it that way ever since. I love the squash. It adds such a great flavor and uniqueness to this recipe. By the way, this is not a mushy potato salad. I make it with the potatoes tender. They should be able to retain their shape when stirred. Sometimes I save some eggs to put on the top of the salad for garnish.

4 Comments:

At March 26, 2008 4:21 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Banana, I'm making this recipe today. I'll let you know how it turns out. Oh, one change: I'm using real garlic because I don't have garlic powder.

 
At March 27, 2008 5:20 PM, Blogger banana said...

Cash,
Please let me know what you think. Also, the real garlic sounds great. Noj would love for me to make it that way all the time. He loves garlic.

 
At March 31, 2008 11:34 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I didn't have the squash, either, so I made it without the squash. This also meant that I didn't need nearly as much dressing. Still, I think it worked out well. The dill weed makes it extra yummy.

 
At April 04, 2008 5:35 PM, Blogger banana said...

I love dill weed on potato salads. Too bad that you didn't add the squash. It is a fun addition.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home